Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What is LibraryThing anyway?

When I first started compiling lists of our new books at the Belding Library, I wanted to be able to give you information about each of the books without sending you to a commercial site like Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

What I found was LibraryThing, an online cataloging system of books. The Belding Library has its own page at LibraryThing, and starting in December, 2007, all the new acquisitions have been and will be added to our catalog there. Each time I send out a new list of acquisitions, each title will be linked to its corresponding page on LibraryThing so you can get a synopsis of what the book is about, read reviews by other readers, and see the cover, among other things.

As our collection grows on LibraryThing, you'll also be able to use it to search for recent acquisitions to see if we have a particular new book you're looking for.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

No comments: